Liza Miller was awarded her doctorate
in 1999 from the University of Queensland, Australia. Her dissertation
topic was "Identification and Evolution of Melolonthini
(Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in Australian Canefields," and
her doctorate encompassed entomology, systematics, phylogenetics
and population genetics.
The objectives of her doctoral research were: (1) describe the
morphology of 19 species of Australian canegrubs (Coleoptera:
Scarabaeidae: Melolonthini); (2) develop a molecular identification
key for morphologically similar canegrubs; (3) investigate the
population genetics of a canegrub species to explain its population
dynamics and gene flow.
NSW Department of Environment & Conservation
PO Box A290
Sydney South, NSW 1232
TEL: (02) 9995 5690
2. Miller LJ, Graham GC, Allsopp PG, Yeates DK. 1997. Use of DNA
sequencing for species identification and phylogeography: canegrub
examples (Scarabaeidae: Melolonthini). In 'Soil Invertebrates
1997.' (Eds. Allsopp PG, Rogers DJ and Robertson LN). Pp. 31-34.
Bureau of Sugar Experiment Stations, Brisbane.
3. Cribb BW, Hull CD, Moore CJ, Miller LJ, Yeates DK. 1998. Structure
and function of raster in Melolonthine larvae. Annals of the Entomological
Society of America 91: 202-210.
4. Miller LJ, Allsopp PG, Graham GC, Yeates DK. 1998. Complementary
morphological and molecular approaches to pest identification
in the Australian sugarcane industry. Proceedings of the Sixth
Australasian Applied Entomological Research Conference. Pp. 463-470.
5. Miller LJ, Graham GC, Allsopp PG, Yeates DK. 1999. Identification
of morphologically similar canegrubs (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae:
Melolonthini) using a molecular diagnostic technique. Australian
Journal of Entomology 38: 189-196.
6. Miller LJ, Allsopp PG.2000. Identification of Australian Canegrubs
(Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Melolonthini) Invertebrate Taxonomy
7. Miller, L. and P. Allsopp. 2005. Phylogeography of the scarab
beetle Antitrogus parvulus Britton (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae)
in south-eastern Queensland, Australia. Australian Journal of
Entomology 44: 29-36.
COMPUTER IDENTIFICATION KEY
Allsopp PG, Miller LJ (1999) grubID version 1.0 Bureau of Sugar
Experiment Stations, Brisbane Q. Australia.
2. Miller LJ (1999) Identification and Evolution of Melolonthini
(Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in Australian Canefields. PhD Thesis.
Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of Queensland.
St Lucia, Queensland, Australia.
4. Allsopp PG, Miller LJ (1999) Final report - S97S. Methods for
accurate identification of canegrubs. SRDC Final Report SD99011.
Bureau of Sugar Experiment Stations Queensland, Australia.